Check out Mini-Mediagazer for simple mobiles or Mediagazer Mobile for modern smartphones.
8:55 AM ET, May 16, 2011

Mediagazer

 Top News: 
David Carr / New York Times:
How Drudge Has Stayed on Top  —  For most big news Web sites, about 60 percent of the traffic is homegrown, people who come directly to the site by dint of a bookmark or typing in www.latimes.com or www.huffingtonpost.com.  The other critical 40 percent comes by referrals …
Bill Carter / New York Times:
Gay CNN Anchor Sees Risk in Book  —  Don Lemon, the weekend prime-time anchor for CNN, was on the air on Sunday night this month when the news broke that President Obama would address the nation at the unusual hour of 10:30 p.m.  —  By the time the news network was confirming the reports …
Steve Grove / The Official Google Blog:
Remembering fallen journalists on video  —  We live in a world that feels smaller every day.  As we become accustomed to nearly ubiquitous coverage of the news and events unfolding around the world, it's easy to forget the price that is sometimes paid to obtain quality …
Jean-Louis Gassée / Monday Note:
Dangerous Blend  —  Last week, the Columbia School of Journalism released “The Story so Far” (PDF here).  For news zealots, this is tantamount to the Vatican publishing a sex manual.  Still, this work is one of the best reports ever written on the state of modern journalism.
Discussion: paidContent, The Wire and Guardian
David Zax / Fast Company:
How Viral PDFs Of A Naughty Bedtime Book Exploded The Old Publishing Model  —  The party line on piracy is that it's bad for business.  But what to make of the case of “Go the F**k to Sleep,” the “children's book for adults” whose viral-pirate PDF launched the book to the number-one spot on Amazon.com a month before its release?
Russell Adams / Wall Street Journal:
Many Formats, One Price  —  More Publications Begin Bundling Their Digital, Print and Mobile Subscriptions  —  Magazine and newspaper publishers are reorienting themselves around a business model that has taken hold in other media: the bundle.  —  The result is a new ecosystem of pricing …
Liz Shannon Miller / GigaOM:
What's Trending: A Sneak Peek at CBS News's Social News Experiment  —  The first thing you're told about What's Trending is that “we're not calling it a web show.”  Those are the words of host Shira Lazar, who instead refers to the series launching this Tuesday as an interactive TV show …
David Kaplan / paidContent:
NYTCo's Nisenholtz On Fixing About.com: It's All About The Guides  —  Last week, following three consecutive quarters of declining revenues at its About Group unit, the New York Times Co. (NYSE: NYT) decided it was time for a change at the top and dismissed CEO Cella Irvine.
Discussion: Future of Journalism
Edmund Lee / AdAge:
Ad Pages Haven't Followed Tina Brown to the ‘NewsBeast’  —  ‘Tina Touch’ Brings New Editorial Voice, But Business Upside to Fused Online/Print Venture Still Unclear  —  “We're not rushing to put money into Newsweek,” one ad buyer said recently.  “They have their work cut out for them.”
Discussion: The Daily Beast and eMedia Vitals
Emily Nussbaum / New York Magazine:
Emily Nussbaum on the New Interactive Showrunner  —  When I was a child, in the halcyon seventies, I loved to watch TV.  It wasn't an easy hobby: I had to get up each time I changed the channel.  Cable barely existed (I was 15 when “Video Killed the Radio Star” launched MTV).
Jane Mayer / New Yorker:
Is Thomas Drake an enemy of the state?  —  Is Thomas Drake an enemy of the state?  —  Drake, a former senior executive at the National Security Agency, faces some of the gravest charges that can be brought against an American citizen.  Photograph by Martin Schoeller.
Arthur S. Brisbane / New York Times:
The Other Torture Debate  —  IT wasn't long after Osama bin Laden's killing that the arguing began: did the Bush administration's torture policy produce essential intelligence that led the United States to Bin Laden's hideout in Pakistan?  —  Bush administration figures weighed in “yes” …
Discussion: Media Nation and The Daily Dish
 
 Archived Page Info: 
This is a snapshot of Mediagazer at 8:55 AM ET, May 16, 2011.

View the current page or another snapshot:


 
 See Also: 
Mediagazer: site main
Mediagazer River: reverse chronological Mediagazer
Mediagazer Mobile: for phones
Mediagazer Leaderboard: Mediagazer's top sources
 
 Subscribe: 
Mediagazer RSS feed
Mediagazer on Twitter
 
 
 More News: 
Peter Preston / Guardian:
Has newspaper/web integration been oversold?
Discussion: Future of Journalism
Sarah A. Topol / The Daily Beast:
The Mideast's Forgotten Journalist Prisoners
 Earlier Picks: 
Brian Stelter / New York Times:
News Corp. Will Disclose Its Political Donations
Discussion: Crikey and Future of Journalism