Check out Mini-Mediagazer for simple mobiles or Mediagazer Mobile for modern smartphones.
8:20 PM ET, May 22, 2018

Mediagazer

 Top News: 
Associated Press:
EPA bars the AP, CNN, and another outlet from national summit on harmful water contaminants; security guards at the event shoved female reporter out of building  —  WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest on a hearing with EPA chief Scott Pruitt on a widespread contaminant in drinking water (all times local):
RELATED:
Michael Calderone / @mlcalderone:   CNN statement on network's reporter being “selectively” turned away, along with reporters from other outlets, from EPA event
Laura Hazard Owen / Nieman Lab:
A new report from Data & Society says young reporters writing about the Internet fueled coverage of the alt-right, emboldening the movement  —  “These were the kinds of behaviors, and the kinds of people, they had been participating with, reporting on, and in many cases actively taunting, for years.
A.J. Katz / Adweek:
Nielsen expands its partnership with YouTube TV to include YouTube viewership in local TV audience measurements, likely a boon for local media ad buys  —  Which is good news for media buyers and sellers  —  Nielsen announced today that YouTube TV viewership at designated market levels …
Discussion: Broadcasting & Cable and MediaPost
Institute for Nonprofit News:
Profile of VTDigger, a non-profit newsroom in Vermont, which has ~300,000 monthly users, 19 full-time employees, and an annual budget of over $1.5M  —  A study in leadership  —  To editors and executive directors of nonprofit news organizations, Anne Galloway's story will sound familiar …
Dani Deahl / The Verge:
Twitter announces it is killing off its apps for Xbox, Roku, and Android TV on May 24  —  Probably for the best  —  Today Twitter announced it is killing off several of its apps, including Twitter for Android TV, Twitter for Roku, and Twitter for Xbox.  —  Twitter for Xbox allowed …
Todd Spangler / Variety:
American Customer Satisfaction Index: customer satisfaction of streaming video services is 75% on average, far better than cable, satellite, telco TV rivals  —  U.S. cable and satellite TV sector falls to 11-year low on ACSI's index  —  This won't come as a huge shock …
Benjamin Mullin / Wall Street Journal:
Sources: Univision has tapped Vincent Sadusky to succeed Randy Falco as CEO; Sadusky could be starting as early as June 1  —  Sadusky, a veteran of Media General and Telemundo, may start at Univision as soon as June 1  —  Univision Communications Inc. has tapped media veteran Vincent Sadusky …
Discussion: Bloomberg and @benmullin
Natalie Jarvey / Hollywood Reporter:
Source: BuzzFeed Studios has signed a deal with agency WME as it looks to ramp up its film and television output  —  The digital publisher has sold docuseries ‘Unspeakable Crime: The Killing of Jessica Chambers’ to Oxygen and shortform series ‘Follow This’ to Netflix.
Tony Rehagen / Columbia Journalism Review:
Profile of Tommy Tomlinson, who lost most of his voice to cancer but has gone on to be a Pulitzer finalist and will launch an interview podcast this month  —  Tommy Tomlinson.  Photo courtesy of the subject.  —  IN THE SPRING OF 1993, Tommy Tomlinson was lying in a bed at Carolinas Medical Center …
The New York Times Company:
Paramount Television, in partnership with other production companies, is developing a series based on The New York Times' Overlooked obituaries project  —  The New York Times, Anonymous Content, Paramount Television, and 3dot Productions are developing an original series titled Overlooked …
 
 Archived Page Info: 
This is a snapshot of Mediagazer at 8:20 PM ET, May 22, 2018.

View the current page or another snapshot:


 
 Sponsor Posts: 
Scroll:
Experience a better internet  —  No ads.  Twice as fast.  Fewer trackers.  Directly support the sites you read.  Join Scroll and see what a better internet looks like.
Sponsor Mediagazer
 
 See Also: 
Mediagazer: site main
Mediagazer River: reverse chronological Mediagazer
Mediagazer Mobile: for phones
Mediagazer Leaderboard: Mediagazer's top sources
 
 Subscribe: 
Mediagazer RSS feed
Mediagazer on Twitter
 
 
 More News: 
Jeremy Barr / Hollywood Reporter:
Source: Vanity Fair has laid off six employees in addition to the 15 laid off in February as part of restructuring, though new hires are expected soon
Sarah Perez / TechCrunch:
Reese Witherspoon's company Hello Sunshine partners with Amazon's Audible on book club initiative and original audio productions
Discussion: Publishers Weekly
 Earlier Picks: 
Yuji Nakamura / Bloomberg:
Sony, which already owns 40% of EMI Music Publishing, to buy out remaining 60% equity for about $2B
Daniel Holloway / Variety:
Amazon Studios names NBC veteran Vernon Sanders as co-head of TV alongside COO Albert Cheng, will oversee creative and production units for Amazon Prime Video
Discussion: The Wrap